Metal Hammer released a Special Edition about Nu Metal, detailing everything about the genre and displaying articles and interviews with artists during it’s peak and the thoughs of new artists on how nu metal influenced them.
It was the most divisive genre to ever grace metal’s varied palette – and it’s time it got its dues.
In another of our one-off, special edition issues, we pay tribute to the scene that changed it all, from its dark, game-changing origins by way of Korn and Deftones to its chart-conquering zenith, its fall from favour and its recent return to form.
We also give you exclusive, brand new interviews with some of nu metal’s greats, including an eye-popping look at nu metal’s history through the eyes of Limp Bizkit frontman Fred Durst, a chat with Linkin Park about the history-making impact of Hybrid Theory and all-new interviews with the likes of Korn, Deftones, Papa Roach and many more.
Plus, we dig through the Hammer archives for some classic, long-lost features from nu metal’s heydey. Were Linkin Park a product more than a band? What prophetic prediction did Papa Roach make way back in 2002 that ultimately came to pass? And how the hell did we end up in bed with Korn?! It’s all revealed, and it’s all explosive.
All that plus our Top 40 Nu Metal Anthems Ever, Family Values memories, the best of nu metal’s ludicrous videos and much more.
Metal Hammer Presents Nu Metal is a 132 page celebration of one of the most controversial and radical periods in rock’s history. All new features include:
– Inside Linkin Park’s seminal ‘Hybrid Theory’ with Chester and Mike including how they fought a record label trying to kick members out of the band to release the album of a generation.
– Limp Bizkit’s Fred Durst tells his life story to date, from being homeless to being one of the biggest rock icons of all time. Britney, Woodstock and redemption from being rock’s public enemy number one…it’s all here in one unflinching interview.
– Inside the Family Values tour with Korn’s Jonathan Davis telling us how that tour changed metal forever.
– The biggest rock bands of today give praise to nu metal including A Day To Remember, Parkway Drive, Asking Alexandria, Of Mice & Men, Architects and more.
– Unique producer Ross Robinson tells stories from the studio about Korn, Slipknot, Bizkit, Sepultura, Machine Head with a mind-blowing look at the twisted techniques that have birth to your favourite albums.
– Jonathan Davis, Chino Moreno, Jacoby Shaddix and more talk to us exclusively about their nu metal past.
We revisit the iconic videos, the crazy looks, the moments that made the genre, how hip hop culture changed metal forever and the bands bringing nu metal back in a big way!
We also bring you classic features from Metal Hammer’s past including:
– Slipknot’s first ever cover story on their first ever headline tour of the US.
– System Of A Down as they prepared to shake the world with their classic Toxicity album.
– Retro features from Korn, Deftones, Incubus, Papa Roach, Disturbed and more.
– Focus on Mudvayne, POD, Kid Rock, Crazy Town, Hoobastank, Ill Niño, One Minute Silence, Snot, Spineshank and Corporate Avenger. (Yeah, we’re digging deep).
The good, the bad and the freaky; you’ll find them all inside Metal Hammer Presents Nu Metal.
You can have a preview of the edition on pdf here